Kidango is proud to co-sponsor AB 22 (McCarty) to expand Universal Transitional Kindergarten to all 4-year-olds.
AB 22 will extend universal access to full-day transitional kindergarten (TK) programs to all 4-year-olds statewide at no cost to families. By ensuring that each child in California has access to a year of high-quality Pre-K, this bill sets students up for success in kindergarten and beyond. Specifically, AB 22:
- Builds upon the state’s landmark TK program to phase in full-day, universal pre-kindergarten by providing a year of TK for all 4-year-olds.
- Implements TK quality improvements to address the social-emotional and early academic development of California’s youngest learners.
- Lowers staff to student ratios to enable educators to meaningfully interact with each child.
- Creates a standard curriculum that bridges the gap between preschool and kindergarten.
- Adds capacity to serve more 3-year-olds in California State Preschool (CSPP) and Head Start, as well as infants and toddlers thanks to companion legislation (SB 50).
- Maintains the parent’s ability to choose whether their 4-year-old remains in CSPP or Head Start, or enrolls in TK.
Author: Assemblymember McCarty
Joint Co-authors: Assemblymembers Aguiar-Curry, Berman, Bonta, Burke, Carrillo, Chiu, Friedman, Eduardo Garcia, Gipson, Gonzalez, Maienschein, Quirk-Silva, Reyes, Luz Rivas, Robert Rivas, Rubio, Santiago, Ting, Valladares, Waldron, Wicks
Principal Co-authors: Senators Dodd, Gonzalez, Limón, Rubio, and Assemblymember Nazarian
Co-authors: Assemblymembers Bloom, Cervantes, Gabriel, Levine, Mayes, Nguyen, Pettrie-Norris, Quirk, Rodriguez, Stone, and Senator Min
How You Can Support This Bill: AB 22 Sample Support Letter
Show Your Support on Social Media:
To share on social media, click on a below image, then right click to save it. Then share on your page with the hashtag #UniversalTK4All.